St. Paul’s Chapel
This Georgian architectural style church was built in 1766. The Chapel was turned into a makeshift memorial shrine following the September 11 attacks. After the attack on September 11, 2001, which led to the collapse of the twin towers of the World Trade Center, St. Paul's Chapel served as a place of rest and refuge for recovery workers at the WTC site. For eight months, hundreds of volunteers worked 12 hour shifts around the clock, serving meals, making beds, counseling and praying with fire fighters, construction workers, police and others. The fence around the church grounds became the main spot for visitors to place impromptu memorials to the event. Chapel officials decided to erect a number of panels on which visitors could add to the memorial. Estimating that only 15 would be needed in total, they eventually required 400.